It’s time to awaken the dragon again! Thow Kwang Clay Artists invite our friends, potters, artists…everyone who is interested to our annual wood-firing! The wood-firing will be carried out continuously for the duration of about 28 hours during the Vesak weekend at the end of May.
Here’s the tentative wood-firing schedule. The schedule is subjected to changes as much depends on how well the fire is maintained and able to reach the desired temperature. The main event begins on Friday, 28th May.
26th & 27th May (Wed & Thurs):
Preheating during the day
28th May (Fri):
9:00am-4:00pm – Firing begins. 80 deg Celsius per hour. To reach 560 deg Celsius by 4:00pm
4:00pm-10:00pm – Firing. 100 deg Celsius per hour. To reach 1,160 deg Celsius by 10:00pm
10:00pm-12:00mn – Soaking at 1160 deg Celsius
29th May (Sat):
12:00mn-1:00am – Firing at stoke holes 1 & 2. Temperature: 1,200 deg Celsius
1:00am-4:00am – Soaking at stoke holes 1 & 2. Throw salt into the stoke holes. Stop soaking of stoke hole 1 at 4:00am
4:00am-6:00am – Firing at stoke holes 3 & 4. Temperature: 1,200 deg Celsius. Stop soaking of stoke hole 2 at 5:00am
6:00am-8:00am – Soaking at stoke holes 3 & 4. Throw salt. Stop soaking of stoke hole 3 at 8:00am
8:00am-10:00am – Firing at stoke holes 5 & 6. Temperature: 1,200 deg Celsius. Stop soaking of stoke hole 4 at 9:00am
10:00am-12:00pm – Soaking at stoke holes 5 & 6. Throw salt.
- BYO food for a BBQ on Friday night. Dine by the firebox while you watch the crackling flames of the dragon kiln.
- Fire-fly watching on Friday night (if the fire-flies decide to join us :-)).
- Firing to the rhythm and beat of African drums. Some of our friends will be entertaining us on their Djembes. So bring along your own instruments and add music to the night.
- Stoke-a-wish: Try your hand at origami, make a wish, and toss the paper figurines into the firebox.
- 2 Guided Tours for those who are interested to know more about the history of the kiln and the tradition of wood firing.
30th May-4th June
5th-6th June (Sat & Sun)
Unpacking of the kiln and documenting the results
Thow Kwang Industry Pte Ltd, 85 Lorong Tawas (off Jalan Bahar)
Posted by CLim