The Firing Continues

At around midnight, the fire in the firebox was blazing at 1,100 degrees Celsius.. The fire was well maintained and we hit the target temperature in the firebox after 15 hours of firing.

The stoke holes in the firebox were bricked up and the firing moved to the side stoke-holes.

This is always an interesting part of the firing as we can finally take a peek into the kiln and see the liquid flames dancing and swirling around our pieces.

Although the flames looked hot and fiery, the temperature was not able to reach 1,200 degree Celsius in the first two chambers. The firers had it tough.

When dawn broke, the firing stagnated at the first two chambers. The firers had no choice but to move on to the third, fourth and fifth chambers.

After 33 hours, firing ended at around 6pm on Saturday evening. How will our pieces turn out? No one knows. All we can do is to wait and hope for the best. Right now, all we need were a shower and sleep!

Posted by CLim



Filed under Dragon Kiln, Potters

2 responses to “The Firing Continues

  1. danlim98

    Hi Carol, Ms Tan & Steven
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to take some pictures during the firing that night, we was amazed at how the process was done traditionally till now….

    Me, Tung, Ben and some of our Malaysia friends visited the Dragon Kilns, all of us have a good time that night.

    Manage to capture some of those action we thought you all might like it…


    Please visit my simple collection…

  2. CLim

    Thanks for recording the event through your lens. I’ve included your photo link to our post on Night Firing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s